Beyond

2.27.2015

Light is behind the clouds
I see over the horizen,
up above the
paved hills. 
After walking 
for what feels like forever,
I slow down than sit
on the rocky concrete road.
Sweat dripping down me,
I am hot and sweaty
as the air is dry.
My mouth is parched, 
like it's own desert.
The sun's hot breath constantly on my back
I eventually stand up, 
the wind whipping my long air into my face.
The kind of wind that blows around hot air
and makes dust dance.
Slowly I walk,
each step more painful than the last.
I am no closer to the small town
than when I began walking
this morning.
Then the sun seems to have blown out
darkness floods the sky as
the clouds roll in.
The few trees sway under a swollen sky.
Soon I start to run
as the grey clouds burst
and I see
silver trinkets of rain
They soak my hair and my clothes.
I feel them run down my face
making my body glisten 
and I cry out in joy
when I run far enough to reach
the town I've been walking to.
~
In English we're reading a book called Out of the Dust. I read it when I was in elementary school and I highly recommended it. Anyway, it's told through a narrative poem. I've decided to try to write some kind of narrative poem.

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about narrative poems yesterday and boom- here it is on your blog!
    There are several other books written in narrative poem- Love That Dog by Sharon Creech, and one that rhymes called Zorgamazoo, but I forget who wrote that.
    I have not read out of the dust before, but I saw a copy on my shelf. Off I go on a quest for the fabled book "out of the dust"
    *mounts horse and gallops bravely away*
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! New books for Emily! :D
      *Mounts horse and gallops bravely away*
      ~Emily
      Oh, and I read My name is Mina and I LOVED it!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS I READ OUT OF THE DUST WHEN I WAS IN FOURTH GRADE AND I LOVED IT SO MUUUUUUCH.
    Some lovely imagery in that little piece!

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of the dust was quite the amazing book, but I don't know why we have to read it in middle school.
      Thank you Ellie!
      ~Emily

      Delete

Hey! I'm glad you liked my post and thanks for taking the time to comment. Feel welcome to disagree with someone's comment, but please disagree nicely. The golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. ♥

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS