Keep Going~Chapter 3

3.27.2015


 I open the cottage door slowly. And much to my surprise, it opens fairly easily without the squeaking of the hinges that I expected. Inside the cottage, light filters in through the many windows. I see Elaine's handiwork every where: Stacks of books sit next to the open windows. Picked wild flowers rest in colorful vases all around the room. A colorful tea pot rests on a small table next to a few chairs.
 Then I see it. Under a slanted part of the roof, a desk rests underneath. I recognize it instantly- Elaine's old writing desk, the one that our dad gave to her. I swallow the lump in my throat and instead focus on what's on the desk I tear through the room and over to the desk. Her desk faces out to the garden, which you can see through the large windows. 
 On the desk, typed sheets of paper rest inside an old, worn notebook. I flip through the pages. Elaine scribbled on them with different colored pens that sit on the desk. I can see her flower doodles in the margins.  A vase of flowers, freshly picked, sits on one corner of her desk. A tea pot rests at another.
 Ever since we were little, Elaine loved to write stories. That's why our dad gave her a writing desk. She used to let me read her stories, but recently she hadn't let me. Elaine also loves flowers and reading.  She loves to venture out into the woods alone.
 I, on the other hand, love to cook and bake. Even though I don't love science, baking and cooking is like a science. It's a rush of joy when you finally get the recipe right. I also love to sing, but not for other people. The only thing we have in common is the love to read.
 Curiosity gets the better of me and I pick up her writing and flip through it. Meaningless notes are written and the text makes no sense. I put the writing back down again. 
 "Excuse me! What is your name?" Charlie asks as it finally registers.  He tugs on the hem of my t-shirt.
 "My name is Gracie. Gracie Devenouto."
 Charlie gives a little gasp and his brown eyes give a spark of excitement, "You're Elaine's sister? Mack, Toby and Lizzie! Elaine's sister has come!" He smiles and dances around the room. I sit down in Elaine's desk chair and watch as, from out of no where, three more kids come in front of me. 
~
Hope you enjoyed!
Emily
     

6 comments:

  1. Three more kids? They must be ninja children. I'm not usually a flower person, but I want to go to this cottage. It sounds pretty.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen!
      ~Emily
      and they are very ninja like;)

      Delete
  2. We nominated you for an award!
    http://smalltownamericangirlz.blogspot.com/2015/03/a-few-awards-that-are-long-overdue.html
    ~Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this, you're very talented!

    ~Lauren from Pretty Things And Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'm glad you liked my post and thanks for taking the time to comment. Feel welcome to disagree with someone's comment, but please disagree nicely. The golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. ♥

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS