The Mark

6.22.2015



 No one spoke on the bus ride home from school on the day before our 13 birthday. And the silence was fragile and brittle, like it would break any moment. We were all nervous, I guess.

 Anaise tried to talk to me, but I refused to reply. “So, Gia, are you ready for tomorrow? Will you call me when you find out yours?” I only shrugged and glanced out the window.

  Everyone was born with a mark. It held the future of each and every child. Whether they would be super smart and become a doctor, or become an artist or have a talent for design. This mark appeared when our year turned 13 and old enough to join the school of that mark. Tomorrow I would find out which mark I got. And which group I belonged to.

~

  When I woke up the next day, I ran to my bedroom mirror. I jumped out of bed like lightning. It was like four years of Christmas and birthdays wrapped up in one single moment. And when I looked in the mirror, a scream came out of my mouth.

  “What’s wrong?” My mom asked as she ran into my room. “What’s your mark..” She trailed of as a gasp fell through her lips.

  “Mom!” I cried. “Why do I have a knife on my forehead?” I had never studied this mark in school. I had no idea what it meant.

  She didn’t answer. She only mumbled inaudible things with wide open eyes.

  “No, no, no! I’m supposed to have a paint brush or a red cross or a… I don’t know! Anything but this!” I looked back at the mirror to see the knife changed: now there was a slip of blood dripping off the knife.

  “Mom!” I yelled again, more panicked then ever.

  “Gia Church! Listen to me! Get your school bag.” My mother shouted at me with authority.

  “Why? I can’t go to school like this! And what IS my mark?” I asked, frustrated and confused.

  “Well, one problem is solved-you aren’t going to school. At least… not like this.” My mom said calming down. “And… your mark means… you’re a murderer.”

  “A… murderer?! How do you know? We never leaned the mark in school… Unless..”

  My mom nodded gravely. “I have that mark too.”

  “But you have a mark of an artist.”

  She shook her head sadly. With wipe of her hand she removed the fake mark and make up on her forehead to reveal a matching mark. “We need to make you a fake mark too.”

  “Okay… But, mom, have you ever murdered anyone?”
  “Not yet. Most likely never. And it’s the same for you.”
~
Hello.
So, um yeah.
My blog's different. Do you like the new design?
(I decided to work on my coding skills a bit)
Another question:would you like a coding tutorial with HTML?

Emily  

19 comments:

  1. SQUEEEEAL
    The new design is gorgeous, girly! :) Definitely my favorite of yours so far.
    AND OMG I LOVE THIS STORY THIS STORY IS PERFECTION HOLY SHIZ.

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous22.6.15

    OOH THE NEW DESIGN IS PERFECT.
    Awesome story! :)

    ~Watermelon~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (oops, I was typing too fast and made a ton of typos.)

      Your design is amazing! You did a fabulous job :D I would absolutely love a tutorial! I've always wanted to learn to code, so anything would be incredibly helpful to me :)

      Oh, and;
      YOUR STORY IS INCREDIBLE I AM IN LOVE I WISH THIS WAS LIKE A WHOLE BOOK I AM HOOKED. YOU ARE TOO TALENTED, EMILY.
      ~Shelby

      Delete
    2. That's okay:)

      Thanks and I would love to do a few posts on HTML coding!

      THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your writing is always amazing too, BTW.
      ~Emily

      Delete
  4. *dances in a circle* yes yes yes YES! Even better than your jumping off the train story. You are just so good at making suspenseful stories in just a few paragraphs. The list of things I admire you for gets ever longer.

    I did notice. I love it!
    You should totally do some tutorials.
    Mostly I just go in there looking for likely bits of code (lines? Whatever you call them.) and fiddle around to see if it does what I want it to. It's pretty fun, and I learned a bit about hex codes that way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D:D:D Thanks so much, Gwen!
      You have a long list yourself.

      I'm so glad!
      Okay. I like codes to and find them fun as well.

      Delete
    2. List of things I admire Emily for
      •ballerina. I've always wanted to dance.
      •codes. You and a kid named Ryan have inspired me to do the Kahn Academy JavaScript thingie
      •brilliantly writes short stories. HOW do you do it?!?!
      •questions and thinks deeply about science and faith. Will not blindly accept either one. The world needs more thinkers like you.
      •has a positive post every month or so.
      •a lot more that I can't think of right now

      Delete
    3. List of things I admire Gwen for:
      ~Her Sense of humor
      ~The ability to capture society at it's funniest
      ~Doll Photography
      ~Answers to my deep questions that make sense.
      ~Creative posts (i.e. not taking a thousand pictures of the same thing and posting it)
      ~A ton more things that have slipped my mind.

      Delete
  5. Your writing is always so wonderful. ^-^
    xo Adi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang girl. What happens next? I NEED to know. <3

    This is very well written and I hope - if it be your goal - that this story be published someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? I'm so glad I found your blog, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D:D:D
      I'm so glad I found yours too, and I'm still working on part 2!

      Delete
  8. Aughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh want moreeeee!!!!!! :) And double yes to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D:D:D
      Thanks Jess!
      Here's the link to the post:
      http://afallingstar123.blogspot.com/2015/06/4-html-codes-for-beginners.html

      Delete

Hey! I'm glad you liked my post and thanks for taking the time to comment. Feel welcome to disagree with someone's comment, but please disagree nicely. The golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. ♥

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS