Camp NaNoWriMo: Since He Was Gone- Chapter 1

6.30.2015




     It all began with a laugh, a cry and a thud. The laugh was so loud it made Zane sit up in bed. It came from across the street and it sounded like the laugh of a madman. It gave him the creeps.
     Before Zane could lie back down, the laugh was replaced with a desperate, piercing cry. The cry of a wounded animal. Or a man reduced to the state of an animal.
     That cry was followed by a thud so heavy it sounded like a boulder falling to the floor.
     Or a dead body.
     Zane ran into his sister’s room. A drastic measure reserved strictly for emergencies.
     “Anika, wake up.”
     “Go away,” Anika moaned, her voice muffled by her pillow. She tried to burry under her comforter, but Zane gave her a hard shove.
     “It’s important.”
     “What is it?”
     Zane told his sister what he heard.
     She cocked her head, listening. All was silent now. “And you’re sure it was him?” She gestured in the direction of the house across the street.
    “Uh-huh. C’mon-we have to do something!”
     Grumpily, Anika followed Zane downstairs. Hearts beating fast, they cracked open the front door and peeked out. There was a full moon above and in the pale, silvery light they could see the house like it was day time. And yet there was nothing to see. The house across the street looked completely peaceful.
     Anika stared at it, more curious than she had let on. Their new neighbor moved in two months earlier. They knew next to nothing about him, only that he was supposed to be some kind of author- a profession that might be suspicious in the eyes of some but intrigued her greatly.
     “Maybe he was reading one of his books out loud,” Anika suggested. “I heard writers do that.”
    “It wasn’t words; it was a laugh then a scream and then a-“
     “So what do you want to do? Knock on his door?”
     Zane shrugged, unhappy. He didn’t know what he wanted to do.
     “He won’t let anyone in during the day time,” Anika continued. “Can you imagine how mad he would be if someone barged in on him in the middle of the night?”
     “He won’t be mad if he’s dead”
     Anika rolled her eyes. “Maybe he was watching a sitcom and that was the laugh you heard. Then he switched to a horror movie-“
    “And then what? He knocked the TV over?”
   “Why not? Aren’t all writers supposed to be crazy?”
    Zane laughed, his mind turning to the mystery series he was reading: A Secret Series by I.B. Unknown. If their neighbor’s books were anything like I.b.’s, he must be completely nuts.
    His sister was right, Zane thought: in a writers house, sounds didn’t necessarily mean what you thought they did.
    Remembering the many twists and turns in I.B.’s books, Zane allowed Anika to lead him up stairs.
    Shortly afterward, the door of their neighbor’s house opened, and a pair of eyes glanced out into the night. Satisfied he wasn’t being watched, the owner of the eyes crept out if the house.
     A moment later he vanished.
     Out in the distance came the sound of a dog howling at the full moon.
~
Whelp, I hope you liked it. 
Camp starts tomorrow. 
I'm pretty excited. And ready to write. 
Do you like my pen name?
Charlotte Rose Novak.


15 comments:

  1. Awesome story! And I LOVE your name!

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I'm glad you loved it.
      ~Emily

      Delete
  2. I bet it's a wizard trying to live among muggles. He apparated!
    I do Iike your pen name. Classy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      Thanks. I was trying to be *casually smooths hair*
      ~Emily

      Delete
  3. Loved this story! Your name is great :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous30.6.15

    Awesome story!
    I like your pen name. :)
    And before I forget, I nominated you for an award on my blog. :)

    ~Watermelon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Watermelon!
      I'm glad you like it.
      And thanks, I'll get right on it:)
      ~Emily

      Delete
  5. Sounds awesome! I am doing Camp NaNoWriMo as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D
      What's your username?
      Mine is:
      Lovelywritings2001
      ~Emily

      Delete
    2. I believe it is Giselle Hawthorne-sorry dear, I am feeling around the website....
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  6. YOU'RE ON CAMP NANO??????????????
    REALLY?????/????
    WHAT'S YOUR USERNAME??????
    I AM TOO!

    *IS MUCH EXCITED*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
      My username is:
      Lovelywritings2001

      *Is much excited* too!!!!
      ~Emily

      Delete
    2. I'm Kathleen Murphy!
      Also, IDK if you're interested, but I invited you to join my private cabin. I have another friend or two that will probably join in the next few days. :)

      Delete
    3. Okay, I would love to join your cabin!

      Delete

Hey! I'm glad you liked my post and thanks for taking the time to comment. Feel welcome to disagree with someone's comment, but please disagree nicely. The golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. ♥

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS