~The Festival~ (A true poem)

3.14.2015

This is a poem I wrote. It is about me from when I was five. I hope you like it.

The smell of corn dogs
sounds of people laughing.
Heat from the morning May sun 
making me sweat.
Signs of the Festival coming into town.

We arrived in the morning
Along with all the crowds
a smile upon my five year old face
the Farris wheel in mind

But when I begged my parents,
"Eat First,"
The replied. 
So one of the vending places we went.

Glass case displayed
All the food options
Parents distracted
I went unnoticed
as I stuck my sticky fingers up agsinst
the glass.

I didn't feel anything at first.
Then I felt everything.
Heat struck me in an instant
pain welling up
like blisters on my hands.

Tears now on my face
my parents took notice
wails becoming louder
police came right over.

"Ice," one said and gave me
wet, dripping cubes.
Melted water, now stings my
ever hurting hands.

As I cry I walk
along with my parents
and the police
and my sister and broher
we reach the ambulance.

They buckle me in the stretcher
push me into the ambulance.
My dad rides with me
"mommy and Maddy and Nathan will meet us there," 
Daddy tells me.

He talks to me 
on the ride to the E.R.
The people in the back tell jokes too.
Trying to distract me
from the pain.

When we arrive there,
my face is wet with tears
my eyes red from crying
my hands hurting worse than ever
they wheeled me on the stretcher.

I stayed at the E.R. for a few hours
then I went home
with gauze on one hand 
and special bandages on the other.
I never did get lunch that
day.

But I've learned to never
put your hands on the hot glass.
~
Would you believe me if I almost put my face on the glass? This is one of my strongest memories so I thought, why not write a poem about it?
(If you've read Out of The Dust, this is how Billie Jo and I are similar) 
Emily
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi cool post! Please check out my blog and comment on it thanks.

    shinenelevate.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rukiya and I will surely check out your blog!
      ~Emily

      Delete
  2. Well that was kind of a bad turn in a good day, wasn't it.?
    what makes this poem different from all the others? What makes it a "true poem"? Is it that it's something that actually happened to you?
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was.
      I call it a "true" poem as it narrates one of my memories. (it's actually happened to me) Most of my other poems are someone else's memories and thoughts and feelings. Sorry for not clarifying that.
      ~Emily

      Delete
  3. I love the imagery! I really feel like I'm there at the festival! And the last stanza is just the best. :)

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'm glad you liked my post and thanks for taking the time to comment. Feel welcome to disagree with someone's comment, but please disagree nicely. The golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. ♥

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS