Sky The Color of Steel and a story

2.09.2015

Yesterday was one of those tricky days that make you think "Springs almost here!" but today was the opposite. It was bitter cold and the sky was the color of steel. The wind was blowing too, so it felt even colder. 
Anyway. I have written a story for my english class following a traditional African fable. Here it is:


The Dove and the Jackal

Deep in a forest, just outside of a Nigerian City, there lived a family of doves. There was a loving and patient Mother Dove who looked over her two birds. She took care of the young Baby Dove. The Mother Dove also had a kind, but too sure of herself, Daughter Dove. Daughter Dove was petite and white and overly confident.

On a crisp spring day in the Doves’ nest, the Mother Dove talked to the Daughter Dove.

“Daughter Dove,” Mother Dove said. “You need to go to the market and get the apples of knowledge.”

“Okay,” Dove confidently said to her mother and began to take flight.

“Wait,” Mother dove called, “Make sure that when you head to the market, do not fly into the forest!”

The Daughter Dove was just close enough to hear that before she flew up into the sky, above the forest and to the market place.

When the Dove took flight to the city she thought, I don’t know why I can’t go through the forest alone. Mother Dove must not think I am a grown-up bird. Dove did know why was instructed to never fly threw the dense forest as she might get lost in the twist and turns of the leafy, green canopy, but the overly confident Dove didn’t doubted herself.

 Dove flew into the crowded market place. Because it was so busy no one noticed the swift, little dove that stole five juicy, red apples. Just as quickly as she nabbed them, she flew out of the market place. Now I go home! Dove thought and flew in the direction of the forest and her home.

Soon the sun began to set as she passed over the forest. The sky became a crimson color and then turned the sky to a dark purple. Uh-oh, thought the Dove as she tried to fly above the forest towards home. As night fell like a dark cloak over the surrounding forest, Dove knew what she had to do.

“I can fly through the forest-there must be a short cut there,” the Dove said to herself, forgetting her mother’s words, “And when I get back and tell Mother Dove that I went through the forest and brought back the apples of knowledge, she will see I am a big bird.”

The Dove flew down, into the leafy canopy of the forest. Fearlessly, the Daughter Dove glided into the dense forest. After flying for a few minutes in the forest, panic crept in to her mind. Every little snap of a twig scared her. The hoot of a much larger owl troubled her. The scamper of a raccoon afraid her.

The Dove had once flew into the forest with her mother, but that had been during the day. The forest, the Dove soon realized, is much scarier at night. Uncertain noises could be heard from everywhere. The only light in the forest was the moonlight that snuck through the very few gaps where leaves and branches didn’t fully block it. She began to fly up to the leafy canopy only to be trapped by the thick tree limbs and green leaves

Once she flew down to the bottom of the forest, the Dove that she was not alone. A single Jackal crept out of the shadows into some moonlight. The Jackal had a narrow, pointed snout and a thin body to match. His eyes glowed from the reflection of the moonlight. The Jackal looked as if he caught sight on his next meal. He was snarky, devious and sly, but not smart.

“Oh, hello Little Dove,” The Jackal said sinisterly.

“H-hello,” The Dove stuttered.

 “Why are you out here in the dark forest with, oh look, a full bag of apples,” He strode over to the little, white dove, who was thinking of anything her mother told her when you meet a jackal in the forest.

“The fruit of knowledge, you know.”

“Y-yes, I mean, yes I know,” The Dove said as she stalled for time, trying to think her way out.

“Oh, you do, well. I don’t suppose you would give an innocent little jackal like me one-would you?” He asked, feigning innocence.

The Dove remembered her mother words-do not go into the forest. She had broken that single rule and now the Jackal wanted her apples.  “Well, you see, I can’t”

“You…can’t? Well why not?” The Jackal asked.

“I can’t because Mother Dove sent me out to the market place to get the apples of knowledge. She told me to bring them back to our nest and to not, um, go into the forest,” The Dove answered sheepishly.

“Oh please, do you really think one apple will make a difference?” The Jackal asked.

“Well of course!” The Dove replied and looked around the overgrown forest.

“How about we make a deal. If you give me one-one- apple, I can show you a shortcut out of the forest.” The Jackal said, a sly look in his eye.

The Dove sighed. “Okay,” She tossed the Jackal a single apple out of her bag to the Jackal. “Now show me a way out.”

The Jackal scarfed the apple than looked at the dove. “Now that I am much, much smarter than you, I know this: Never trust a jackal.” He laughed as he scurried out of the forest.

Oh no! The Dove thought and flew toward the leafy canopy. She pushed and pushed through the dark canopy until she pushed a hole just big enough for her to fly through. Right through the forest to the night sky. As she flew home, she wondered what her mother would make of this situation.

When Dove arrived back to the nest, her mother waited. “Oh Daughter Dove!” Mother Dove said and flew over to the edge of the nest where she stood, “I was so worried about you!” She gave her a hug.

“Oh Mother Dove!” Dove wailed, “I got the apples, but it became dark so I went into the forest and it was scary!” Dove began to sob and through her cries, her story of going through the forest tumbled out of her.

“Well,” The Mother Dove said thoughtfully, “You have disobeyed me and not followed my rule, but you did bring back most of the apples.”

Dove nodded, “I am truly sorry!”

“I can see that. And you have most definitely learned your lessons- Never go into the forest without me, listen to your mother, and knowledge is something everyone withes to have-yet few possess.”

“Yes Mother Dove,” Dove said in agreement.

 From that day forward, Dove knew the real meaning of knowledge and that you should always listen-and obey-your parents.     
******
I hope you liked my story
Emily

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes i feel like the clouds aren't a sheet of steel, but puffy, quiet, gray blankets to wrap yourself up in.
    And yes, I did like your story. : )
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your puffy blanket idea! And I'm glad you liked my story!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'm glad you liked my post and thanks for taking the time to comment. Feel welcome to disagree with someone's comment, but please disagree nicely. The golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. ♥

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS