Around the Dinner Table

11.04.2015



Gradually voices filter out as easy conversation stops.
Avoiding topics like chores and responsibilities.
As we succumb to silence around the
Longstanding dinner table
The awkwardness seeping into our bones.

Pass the pepper
Daddy mumbles.
I slide it across the table.
We watch as he twists the grinder over his pasta.

Eli lets his fork drop on to his porcelain plate with a crash,
breaking the silence.
I’m full
he mutters pushing his chair back with a screech.

I watch him as he saunters
over to the counter
siting his plate in the sink.
Five minutes at dinner and he can’t stand the tension.

Glancing across the table
I see Amandaline pushing food around her plate,
Glumly cutting up chicken.
She feels my gaze and looks up.
Says nothing.

Some days are better than others for her.
For our family, really.
I guess we should be happy she’s here,
Wearing her baseball cap to hide what isn’t there,
Instead of somewhere else altogether. 

7 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS. I love this series-thingy you're doing - portraying life realistically and showing the gritty truth of some things is always something I've aspired to be good at, and you're doing it magnificently! (If that made any sense.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Ellie, you have an amazing way with words! I'm glad someone understands exactly what I'm trying to convey!

      Delete
  2. This was beautiful! I loved reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I don't like poetry, but this was freakin' awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty awesome

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'm glad you liked my post and thanks for taking the time to comment. Feel welcome to disagree with someone's comment, but please disagree nicely. The golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. ♥

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS